Saturday, June 20, 2009

Solstice Festivities in Fairbanks, Alaska Part 1: The Midnight Sun Run


Warm beads of perspiration emerge from your forehead as you open the door of your well air-conditioned home. The date is June 21st, and you don't care about the summer solstice for the fact that it's 100 degrees outside. A few thousand miles north, however, there are festivals celebrating this under-recognized day. All of Alaska is cheering for the summer solstice not only for the fact that there's no snow, and it's above freezing, but also because the sun never completely sets. On this amazing day, there is sunlight twenty four hours. Some people ask, "How could people sleep in such conditions?" Well, some close the blinds, or even tape trash bags over their windows. As for me, I love the light. It gives you that feeling that you're not actually sleeping for the night, you're having a relaxing afternoon nap.
One of the major events celebrating the summer solstice is the Midnight Sun Run. This run is six miles (10 kilometers) long and has more than 3,500 runners. Well, you can't actually call some of them runners. In the past years I've seen runners, walkers, joggers, skiers, electric skaters, and other forms of athletes. One of the major goals of mine this year is to finish the entire race before 11:30. Another interesting thing about this race are the costumes. There have been Jolly Green Giants, George Bushes, Salt and Pepper, and hundreds of other interesting designs. I haven't left yet, however when I get there, I'll be sure to take plenty of pictures.






Some time later


Well, my short term goal wasn't quite achieved. I got into the finish line at around ll:49 PM. Either way, it was a great experience and I really enjoyed myself. My favorite thing about it this year was the costumes. There were less this year, however, they were much more creative. There were storm troopers and pirates from Samalia, however my favorite was Octo-Mom. Some costumes were even used as advertisements. Lulu's bakery,a local store in Fairbanks, sent out a man dressed as a bagel. Another one of my favorites was a mosquito. This is funny because Alaska is notorious for horrible mosquitoes. As promised, I took many pictures.

No comments:

Post a Comment